Monday, June 9, 2008

Forth of July Door Sign





Created By: Rachelle Carroll

For my forth of July sign I got all my supplies from Walmart!! I started with a pre cut peice of wood found in the craft section. I started by tracing out the flag for the star section and the stripes. To get more consistent lines I used painter tape to create the lines. I painted the red and white lines first, that way if I went over the edge I could cover it with the darker color. After this was dry (i had to do two coats of each color, which is best to do if each layer is dry before the next layer)

Next I painted the blue star box and the entire edge blue. Also for the edge I took a tooth brush and spotted the sides with red and blue paint. If you've never done that before put a small amount of paint on the toothbrush and then run your thumb over the brissles and it will flick off the paint.

Next I took three wood stars (bought in a pack from Walmart) and painted each a base color. I then used the toothbrush again to fleck white paint on the blue and white star and red paint on the white star. To finish the star I drew a line by hand just in from the edge.

For the stars on the flag I used craft rhinestones. I used the cheap plastic ones that came in a pack of 25 for $2 max. I used a pencil first to mark each location and then I used nail glue (super glue) to attach using tweezers. I did the 13 star circle because 50 looked way to cluttered.

To attach the stars I screwed in three small eyelet screws. I used a thick craft wire to attach the stars. To get them to form the curves I first wrapped the wires around a chapstick and let them naturally separate. The wire holds really well and can easily be molded back in to place each year.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachelle said...

test 2

Shantelle said...

So cute! And yes, your comments are working now.

Shantelle said...

So cute! And yes, your comments are working now.

Anonymous said...

You are so crafty. This is a project that I really would do if I had the time. it would look so great on the front door.

Anonymous said...

i think that is a great idea. It is way cute! :) Love CJ