Sunday, June 22, 2008

Valentine's Day Door Hanging




Created by: Rachelle Carroll

For my valentines day door hanging, I started with a wooden board that already had the wire hanging on it. I bought this at Walmart.

For the background I took 2 sheets of 4x4 scrapbook paper and 2 sheets 2x4 of crete paper ( I bought the crete paper in a bag that had a lot of different colors in it). I took a water bottle and filled with water and sprayed each piece. I then scrunched the paper into a ball. I sprayed the paper just enough for it to be able to be crumpled and not rip. I carefully unwrapped the paper and laid it but don't smooth out the wrinkles. I set these aside to dry.

For the letters, I took regular styrofoam and using an exacto knife I carved out each letter. This sound difficult but it really wasn't that bad. You can also buy wooden letters and do the same thing. Ok so with each letter I took more of the crete paper and slightly wetted it and wrapped around each letter. Some of of the letters like "e" I had to use strips to cover the whole area. You can also paint them if you don't want to cover with paper. I set this aside to dry as well.

Back to the background, I took modge podge and covered the entire front surface of the board. I took the two pieces of crate paper and put them in position first. lightly place on board because you want them to retain their wave. Next I took the regular pieces and placed them. I let this dry. Next I modge podged the sides down and finally secured the back. Modge podge is great! Last step for the background is I painted modge podge on the whole front and sides to give it a glossy finish.

For the letters, I modge podged each letter and attached with some gorilla glue (gorilla glue is probably the strongest glue I've ever used but it expands as it drys and has a brownish yellowish color to it so I wouldn't suggest ever using it if it is going to be seen. If you used wooden letters you could use a hot glue gun but with the styrofoam I was afraid it would melt it.

1 comment:

Shantelle said...

Love it! So cute and simple! Thanks again for sharing your creativity with us all!